- Beat the eggs together in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the ground almonds, milk powder, sugar
and saffron in a large mixing bowl and stir to mix well.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Pour the melted butter over the dry ingredients
and mix well with a fork.
- Add the reserved beaten eggs to the mixture and
stir to blend well.
- Carefully spread the cake mixture in a shallow
7 - 9 inch ovenproof dish and bake in a preheated oven at 325˚F for 45
minutes. Test whether the cake is cooked by piercing with the tip of
knife or a toothpick – it will come out clean if the cake is cooked
- Cut the almond cake mixture into slices.
- Decorate the almond slices with flaked almonds
and transfer to serving plates. Serve hot or cold.
These almond slices are best eaten hot, but they may also be served
cold. They can be made a day or even a week in advance and reheated.
They also freeze beautifully.
Serves : 6 - 8